Community Health Board, Central Kings
|Record #: BER0030||Last Modified: 12 Sep 2018||Last Full Update: 15 Jan 2018|
|Where To Find Us||
Western Kings Memorial Health Centre
121 Orchard St, RR 3 P.O. Box 490
Berwick, NS B0P 1E0
|Areas Served||Eastern & Central Kings ; Central Kings|
|Contact||Leanne Graham, Community Health Board Coordinator, Nova Scotia Health Authority|
|Description & Services|
|Information||Community Health Boards (CHBs) are guided by the Health Authorities Act and supported by the Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA).
The CHBs and NSHA are committed to working with a population health approach to improve the health of our communities.
What does a CHB do?
- Works with the community and NSHA to identify and promote health promotion initiatives for inclusion in the community health plan.
- Participates in health promotion initiatives identified in the health plan.
- Provides guidance to the NSHA on strategies to further engage the community.
- As directed by the NSHA Public Engagement Plan, consults with residents of the community.
- Participates with the NSHA in the selection of Wellness Funds Recipients.
The Community Health Boards (CHB) of Nova Scotia, through the Wellness Funds, support non-profit groups in developing healthy communities.
Wellness Funds support projects addressing local community health plan priorities and the social determinants of health, such as income, education, social supports, early childhood development, etc.
Funds are provided by Department of Health and Wellness.
For further information on Wellness Fund criteria and to find application forms, please click here.
Would you like to shape the health of our community? Volunteer with us!
Community Health Board members are a committed group of volunteers working together, under a legislated mandate, to improve the health of the community.
CHBs partner with the NSHA by advising on local perspectives, trends, issues and priorities.
CHBs share information and feedback between the community and NSHA.
CHB Health Priorities:
- Preventing Chronic Disease
- Physical Activity and Healthy Eating
- Mental Wellness
- Health Services
CHB members help create a Healthy Community by:
- Learning about the current health status of their community through Community Health Profiles, Community Health Plans and Public Engagement Plans.
- Advocating for a Population Health approach to Healthy Communities and by recognizing the social determinants of health.
- Actively participating in Community Health Planning.
- Sharing their knowledge and experience of Community Health Board mandates.
- Evaluations Well Funds applications from groups that plan to improve the health of their community.
For more information or to get an application form, please contact us at the phone number and email noted above.
|Meetings||Our meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month from 5-7 and locations vary. The public is welcome to attend. Please contact us to confirm location.
Please note: Coordinator's Office is located in Berwick, but meetings occur in the Central Kings area.
|Tags||Annapolis Valley Connect ; Community Organizations ; Funding programs ; Health ; Recreation Categories ; Volunteer Opportunity|
|Categories - General||Health Related Advocacy Groups ; Recreation Related Expense Assistance ; Volunteer Opportunities|