Old St. Edward's Loyalist Church Museum
|Record #: MCA0119||Last Modified: 15 Jun 2020||Last Full Update: 15 Jun 2020|
|Public Bulletin||Please Note: the Old St. Edward's Loyalist Church Museum will not be open to the public for the 2020 season, and the annual August church service has been cancelled for this year. For further information please send an email to the address noted below.|
|Where To Find Us||
34 Old Post Rd
Clementsport, NS B0S 1E0
|Areas Served||Annapolis Valley Region|
|Description & Services|
Old St. Edward's Church is located at Clementsport, N.S. about 11 miles from Digby and 9 from Annapolis Royal.
It is a Loyalist church in original condition, with a fine collection of Loyalist artifacts and some historical records. The old cemetery on a high hill overlooks the Annapolis Basin and there is a panoramic view from the tower.
The village of Clementsport is located on land granted in 1784 to Captain Douwe Ditmars, a Loyalist of Dutch descent from Long Island, New York.
Those who settled in Clements Township, in which Clementsport is situated, consisted mainly of Loyalists who were of English, Dutch, and German background.
The building of St. Edward's Church began in early 1790s and was completed in 1795.
It was consecrated by the Church of England (now Anglican) Bishop Right Reverend Charles Inglis in September 1797.
Service is still held once a year, normally on the 3rd Sunday of August and there is a museum open from mid - June to end of August if funds are available for a guide.
|Dates||mid-June to end-August|
|Tags||Annapolis Valley Connect ; Museum ; Recreation Categories|
|Categories - General||Museums|