coronavirus  Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources and Information

Many services listed in our Community Recreation Database (Connect.ca) / NS Trails Guide have reduced hours or are currently closed to the public. We advise that you call ahead to confirm services / trails are open and available before attending in person.

Please refer to http://novascotia.ca/coronavirus for more details.

Kentville United Baptist Church

Location
Located In Kentville
Where To Find Us
503 Main St
Kentville, NS B4N 1L4
Areas Served Kentville
Contact
Website kentvillebaptist.org/index.htm
E-Mail info@kentvillebaptist.org
Phone 902-678-3162
Fax 902-365-3175
Description & Services
Information  
We're happy to serve alongside other Christian congregations in Kentville and want to be a place of worship, learning, friendship, and opportunity, both for our church family and the wider community. 
 
Kentville Baptist church was first organized on March 3, 1874, but a fellowship actually started some 50 years before this. Theodore Seth Harding, a Baptist Minister from Wolfville, preached at the old Court house as early as 1824. 
 
When the Church was formally organized in 1874, there were 24 charter members. The church building was completed in that same year and has had many additions and modifications over the years. A Hammond organ was installed in 1948 and a two story addition, for more Sunday School space, was added in that same year. A new church building, the present church, was completed in 1960 and the old church building was remodelled to become the Baptist Church hall. In a sealed box in the cornerstone of the present church are records and papers dating back to 1874. a new Hill, Norman and Beard pipe organ (from England), was purchased and installed in 1964 due to the generous donation of Viola Bishop, long serving organist. 
 
The First Pastor was Rev. James Parker -17 Pastors later Rev. W. C. Machum served the longest term from 1930-1943; followed by Rev. Freeman Fenerty who also served 13 years. Both men were considered to have given exemplary leadership and growth to the church. It was during their terms that the outside fields of – Aldershot, the Altons and Steam Mill, gradually became large enough to form their own pastorates in 1961. 
 
Following the ministry of Freeman Fenerty, George Hamilton assumed the position and served 10 years. Allan Griffin was his Associate Pastor and succeeded Hamilton in 1967. Membership at this time was Resident 586 and Non-Resident 561 for a total of 1147, an all time high. Rev. Byron Fenwick became pastor in 1978 and during his ministry the old church was demolished to make room for construction of the present CE Centre, which was completed in 1982 at a cost of $680,000. This debt was paid off in less than 7 years. In 2005-06 there were multiple enhancements to the church and CE centre including extension of the sanctuary stage, installation of a multi-media system, expansion of the church foyer, relocation of church offices and library and the installation of an elevator lift. 
 
Senior Pastors since that time are: Rev. Judith Gates, 1989-1996; and Rev. Phillip Griffin-Allwood 1996-2000, Rev. John McNally 2001 - Present. Associate Pastors (youth) have included Rev. Ida Armstrong-Whitehouse, Rev. John Crawford, Rev. Barb Fuller, Rev. Gail Whalen-Dunn, Rev. Andrew Porter, and Lic. Colin Cook. Other associate pastors have included Rev. Karl Csazar, Rev. Michael Lipe (CE), Rev. Roger Cann (Pastoral Care), Rev. Jerry Zinck (visitation). Past music directors have included Viola Bishop, Doris Jacomb, Sandra Baltzer, Owen Stephens, Rita Atrott, Joan Redden, Larry Woodman, and Joy Cook. 
 
The church has an appreciation for their rich history and an anticipation of an exciting future. The vibrant youth programs, excellence and strength in music, worship and preaching ministries, and a desire for outreach and growth are just some of the reasons why the pastoral leadership consider it a joy to be a part of what God is doing in the Valley and around the world! 
 
Works Cited 
  • Corbett, W.E.H. A History of the Kentville United Baptist Church, Kentville: Kentville United Baptist Church, 1974
Hours Sunday Mornings - 11:00 am Worship Service & Sunday School, (up to grade 6), & Nursery Care is available. 
(NOTE: Worship is at 10:00 am in July & August)
Events Calendar link to upcoming events on ValleyEvents.ca
Special Information
Established 1874
Tags Annapolis Valley Connect ; Family-friendly ; Recreation Categories ; Religion / Spiritual Development
Categories - General Places of Worship ; Religious/Spiritual Activities